Hollandse School Limited (HSL) in Singapore is looking for a
The HSL is located in inspiring and beautiful surroundings where children are guided to reach their full potential.
The school provides a high quality preschool and primary education with a staff that firmly believes that great school performance must be combined with happy, confident and well rooted children: within our European values of freedom and independence lays a strong belief that self-reliant children often equal better results.
The school is currently going through a transformation from teaching predominantly Dutch children that spent some years in Singapore to a more internationally oriented school.
Indeed, we want to expand our offerings to families that share our vision. These can be Dutch speaking children and also potentially children with a different cultural and language background. This is the transformation the school will need to go through over the coming years.
The Principal of the Hollandse School Limited will be leading the school across this new era, starting August 2022.
The school has existed for over 100 years. Today the school includes 275 students, 60 staff members and currently a management team of 4 people (including the Principal).
Essential Job Functions
- The Principal has primary and overall responsibility for anything that happens in and with the school. This implies that the Principal is overall accountable for the school results in both financial terms (at least break-even operational results) and educational results.
- The Principal provides direction, leadership and day-to-day management of educational activities that promote the development of programs to meet students’ needs while advancing the HSL’s mission and development goals.
- The Principal leads the staff, the management team, sets goals and ensures students meet their learning objectives. Overseeing the HSL day-to-day operations also means handling disciplinary matters, managing a budget (see below) and hiring teachers and non-academic staff.
- The Principal ensures educational quality by periodic program evaluation; and oversees and implements decisions to move forward on any curriculum updates.
- The school is a Limited company. The Principal has budget and P&L responsibility (approx. 7.5 Mio SGD, expected to grow in coming years) and ultimate responsibility in all short term and long-term operational aspects of running this -not for profit- business.
- With the Management team, the Principal leads the execution of long-term strategy, goals, and objectives as set by the Board. Both educational as well as organisational.
- In operations the Principal will lead the Management Team in the coordination and execution of the education processes, HR and business development.
- The Principal reports to the Board of the Hollandse School, which consists of external stakeholders, normally parents, which govern in a non-operational capacity. While the focus of the change will be on expanding the business development capabilities of the school to reach a wider group of families, it will be expected to run a tight ship regarding education processes. High quality education is the foundation of the HSL.
- The Principal represents the school inside and outside the HSL.
- Previous experience as Principal or alternatively, experience as teacher in a management position
- Teaching qualification in primary education, experience with Early Years is a pre
- Experience with offering international education in a multicultural setting
- Knowledge about or easy familiarisation with tailored education and the Dutch education inspection
- Experience in transformation processes, creating broad commitment for change
- Hands-on experience with high demanding parents/ students/ teachers who expect strong educational results in return for the private tuition fee
- Highly recommended to be fluent in English and Dutch
- Able to lead and manage primary school professionals, both teaching and non-teaching
- Outcome oriented, able to make decisions, to adapt quickly and open to change
- Can drive a transformations process; empowers the team, creates commitment, and is responsive to the internal organisation
- Entrepreneurial; knows what is going on in the market and how to create opportunities
- Great inspirer, who draws talent, parents and students to the school through passion and connection
- Open and transparent communicator, at ease with managing conflicts positively
If you have questions about the role or the recruitment process, we welcome you to contact our interim HR Officer Charissia van Lelyveld via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send us your application in English latest by the 14th of January 2022. Please include a cover letter with your motivation and your resume. We welcome your application via email@example.com.
Interviews will start in the second half of January. An assessment will be part of the recruitment process.
A warm welcome to connect and apply!